Block "policy-nav" not found
Methodology Used to Select Policy Documents
We conducted Internet and literature database searches using the following terms: “multicultural”, “policy(ies)” ,“immigrant”, “cultural diversity”, “ethnicity”, “racism”, “racial discrimination”, ”stigma”, and “refugees” AND “Canada” AND “mental health” being constants.
- Documents having to do with policy: creation; action plans; best practices; consultation and/or reports; ethical standards; mental health acts; resources; strategies; guidelines.
- Systematically refine search by adding each of the key words found under “exclusion criteria”.
- Further refine search using “multicultural” “mental health policies” by each of the following geographic zones: international; national; provincial/territorial; municipal/regional.
- Final refinement using the following tags: governmental; non-governmental; private institution.
Criteria used for evaluating chosen sites:
- Recognizable and identifiable entity (ex. Government; community organizations; well-established national and international organizations, such as WHO;
- Extensive review process of stakeholders (academic, government and public) at least two of three;
- Objectives and purpose and methodology clearly outlined;
- Recommendations included.
Final refinement by the following categories:
- Special Issues
- Providing interpreters
- Culture brokers or mediators
- Addressing racism, racial discrimination and stigma
- Immigration and resettlement