Getting Help


Call 9-1-1 or go to your nearest hospital, if you or someone you know is in immediate danger.  If you need emotional support, help is available.

The 911 operator can get an interpreter for you if you need one. It is free to call 9-1-1 from home phones, cell phones, and payphones.


211 is a phone number you can dial to reach Canada’s primary source of information on government and community based health and social services. To speak directly with an information specialist, dial 2-1-1 where the service is available. The website provides a gateway to community, social, non-clinical health and related government services. 211 can help you to navigate the complex network of human services quickly and easily, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in over 100 languages. 211 aims to connect people to the right information and services, strengthen Canada’s health and human services, and help Canadians to become more engaged with their communities.

More information on getting help and emotional support is available through:


French-language Community Services for Newcomers  – All Provinces and Territories 

Information on French-language community services across Canada is available here.